Thursday, April 07, 2005

Digital Lifestyle - losing baggage

I am a retail manager, and in my career I have moved often due to promotions, switching companies etc. And each time I have moved I have had to move STUFF....books, comics, reference material etc, etc, etc....sigh.

I have recently started working on replacing my extensive collections of books through purchasing ebooks, scanning many of my own current collection. Getting rid of all the hard copies and switching to digital is going to have tons of benefits...book cases of books have now been reduced to one partially empty (about 8 decent size boxes on moving day). And 8 long boxes of comic books are now down to two. (I really wish comic book companies would release comics in digital subscription format (if they did it at a discount - as they have no tangible existence and no delivery cost, they could greatly reduce the production costs, yet still make the same profit. Example lets say they sell a comic book for 2.50. Of that say two dollars is production, cost of paper, transportation costs etc. Sell the same thing in digital format for .75 or a 1.00 and make the same profit after expenses, but greatly expand the user base potentially.

Just some thoughts. Get tangible information and convert to digital. I can see a future where tons of trees are saved and information of all types is freed from tangible formats, and available in a fraction of the space...in fact my currentl library, which is huge fills a hard drive that is smaller than a regular paperback....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home